Author: Francesco Terilli
Church: Church of Sant’Alvise
DATE: middle XVI century
POSITION: left column of the organ platform (on map n° 2a)
The Redentore and Saint John the Baptist statues are located on the two columns that support the organ platform or barco.
The barco is a typical bridge structure found in female monasteries, used by the nuns for choral prayers, and traditionally placed in front of the presbytery.
Following the arrival of the Crown of Thorns relic in 1595, and the subsequental opening of the liturgical space for the external confraternities involvement, the choir was moved to its current location, above the front door. The new barco was adorned in respect to the two wooden statues of the late 16th century and enclosed with a gate in the 18th century.