Author: Michele Ungaro
Church: Basilica of San Pietro di Castello
DATE: 1675 ca.
POSITION: Vendramin chapel – right wall (On map n°20)
The Vendramin chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of Carmine and was requested to celebrate the patriarch Francesco Vendramin.
The architectural space was a project by Baldassare Longhena (1588-1682) and enriched by the Allegorical Statues and by the bas-reliefs with the Triumph of the Cross and Paul V imposes the Cardinal’s cap to Francesco Vendramin, both works of Michelangelo Ungano and Melchior Barthel (1625-1672).
The altarpiece illustrating Virgin with Child and Purgative Souls is by Luca Giordano.