AUTHOR: Jacopo Palma il Vecchio
CENTURY: 16th century
CHURCH: Church of San Zaccaria
LOCATION: Chapel of Sant’Atanasio (on map number 5)
TECHNIQUE: Oil on panel
This Madonna and Child with Saints, including Bernardino, Gregory the Great, Paul, Elizabeth, Benedict, and Placidus, was donated to the church by the parishioner physician Pietro Pellegrini. It replaced Bellini’s Sacred Conversation when it had been transferred to Paris. Since 1817, it has been located in the Chapel of Sant’Atanasio. The recent restoration revealed the rectangular shape of the original core, which was later expanded into the new rounded shape and paved with numerous panels, repainted by Antonio Florian in 1817 to harmonize the two painting styles.