AUTHOR: Paolo Veronese
DATE: Circa 1555
CENTURY: 16th century
TECHNIQUE: Oil on canvas
LOCATION: Left nave, between the second and third altars (on map number 10)
The painting, now preserved in the Church of Santa Maria dei Carmini, comes from the Church of San Barnaba, which was suppressed in the Napoleonic parish reorganization of 1810.
The figures are arranged in a pyramidal form: the Madonna, whose face coincides with the apex of the pyramid, is seated in the center of the scene; Saint Joseph, kneeling on the left, is depicted from behind; Jesus, in the arms of his mother, looks towards Saint John the Baptist, who is playing with the Virgin’s blue cloak.