AUTHOR: Unknown, possibly a follower or imitator of Jacopo Tatti, known as Sansovino (1486-1570)
DATE: Early 17th century
CENTURY: 17th century
LOCATION: Counterfacade (on map number 1)
Jacopo Foscarini, who died in 1602, was one of the most prominent political and military figures in Venice during the second half of the 16th century: procurator of San Marco, Captain General at sea, diplomat, and ambassador to European courts, highly esteemed by the Emperor of Spain and the Pope.
The monument was designed as a church facade, complex and rich in architectural and sculptural elements. It occupies the entire surface of the wall, including the entrance portal. It is divided into three parts by columns, placed on a tall pedestal and surmounted by Corinthian capitals, and divided into two registers by a dentil cornice. Above the portal, in the upper central section, concluded by a tympanum, a niche was prepared with a round arch on pilasters, intended to house the life-size statue of Foscarini, depicted as a sea captain, wearing armor, a cloak, and holding a command staff in his right hand. The niches of the two side sections are occupied by two statues representing Charity and Faith. On the sides of the entrance door, there are bas-reliefs with decorative subjects from the classical repertoire, such as armor, ribbons, weapons, emblems, shields, cornucopias, and floral elements. On the slabs of the two pedestals, there are bas-reliefs depicting naval battle scenes with aligned opposing fleets of galleys, referring to Foscarini’s command role in the war against Turkey (War of Cyprus, 1570-1573).