AUTHOR: Giulio Del Moro
CHURCH: Church of San Giacomo dall’Orio
DATE: XVI secolo
POSITION: chapel of the Holy Sacrament (on map n°14b)
METHOD:oil painting on canvas
The chapel of the Holy Sacrament was erected by an anonymous architect, between the last decade of the XVI century and 1604, the year that Ridolfi saw it completed.
On the lateral walls there is a pictorial series by different artists narrating the Passion of Christ. The dating of paintings is uncertain, but it is surely after 1598, the year in which Nicolò Laghi’s scripture was published (+ 1612) on the Miracles of the Holy Sacrament, where the iconographical source was known.
The painting Ecce Homo was done by Giulio Del Moro.
On the bottom left, there is a portrait of Guardian Grando wrapped in superb seventeenth-century garb, who was the Holy Sacrament School’s highest authority. For this reason the two portraits on the lower right of Flagellation painting, were identified as the Chancellor and the Vicar of the same school.