AUTHOR: Paolo Caliari known as Veronese
CHURCH: Church of San Giacomo dall’Orio
POSITION: ceiling of the New sacristy (on map n° 13)
METHOD: oil painting on canvas
The new sacristy was erected in 1903, where the sixteenth-century school of San Giacomo was located.
The project was part of the of a maintenence operation that involved all the Venetian ecclesiastical buildings in bad condition, initiated after the collapse of the St Mark’s bell-tower the previous year.
In 1577, the Holy Sacrament School’s confraternity had the ceiling piece realised by Paolo Veronese for the space in front of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel.
The center oval piece depicts The Faith with the Holy Spirit while the four circles placed on the corners represent the Four Doctors of the west Church: St Gregorio Magno, St Girolamo, St Ambrogio, and St Augustine.